There are many families in disarray today simply because someone in that lineage took a slight and seemingly insignificant slant from the truth. The item of focus for that slant might have also seemed undoubtedly minor in the grand scheme of life. The cost paid by the family today (possibly multiple generations later) is downright unbearable. Does this description fit your family? Are you on the cusp of taking a similar slant? How would you know, or avoid such grave error?
A. W. Tozer wrote: "So necessary to the Church is a lofty concept of God that when that concept in any measure declines, the Church with her worship and her moral standards declines along with it... Though she may continue to cling to a sound nominal creed, her practical working creed has become false. The masses of her adherents come to believe that God is different from what He actually is; and that is heresy of the most insidious and deadly kind."
Although he speaks of the church, Tozer only a couple of paragraphs later invokes a view and similar fate for the family as it pertains to generational parental responsibility. Was he inaccurate?
- In recent weeks the United Nation continues to consider the "Defamation of Religion" resolution introduced in 2009 by radical Islam within the OIC, if I recall correctly, aimed primarily at Christians. With regards to free speech and anti-oppression which the UN advocates as a main charter, it is appalling the thought is even considered. Yet a vote on this resolution is pending and the dialog continues.
- There is a long standing feud in the United States, a nation founded on Christ-like principles by bible believing forefathers, concerning chaplains and the "defamation of religion" within the military.
In my opinion, the answer is simple (obvious), yet it holds a magnitude of grandeur in its impact. The answer or our proper reaction is propelled by our view of God as depicted by AW Tozer's comments above. However, I wish to add a couple of more thoughts from the Bible (book of Galatians). Why? Because the only thing that is true about God is what He says about Himself. The Apostle Paul is also warning believers who know the truth yet run the risk of embracing the "slant". As such consider this please...
- We have erroneously created worthless and unworthy (idolatry) views of God the Almighty. - Galatians 4:8 But at that previous time, when you had not come to be acquainted with and understand and know the true God, you [Gentiles] were in bondage to gods who by their very nature could not be gods at all [gods that really did not exist].
- We must be acutely aware of the danger of the slant in our faith and family values. - Galatians 5:9 A little leaven (a slight inclination to error, or a few false teachers) leavens the whole lump [it perverts the whole conception of faith or misleads the whole church].
- Christians are to view this issue in light of our submission to the flesh or Spirit. - Galatians 5:24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus (the Messiah) have crucified the flesh (the godless human nature) with its passions and appetites and desires.
- We must know the evidences and understand what our adoration of the flesh looks like. - Galatians 5:19-21 Now the doings (practices) of the flesh are clear (obvious): they are immorality, impurity, indecency, Idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger (ill temper), selfishness, divisions (dissensions), party spirit (factions, sects with peculiar opinions, heresies), Envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you beforehand, just as I did previously, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
If you aren't already, please consider donating $8.99 per month to our non-profit organization (Family Legacy Builders), and very strategic work for such a time as this. Click Here To Donate!